Have you heard about the terms Electrosensitivity (ES) and Electrohypersensitivity (EHS)? Unfortunately, these terms may become ubiquitous as more and more people suffer the effects of constantly being exposed to man-made electromagnetic fields and radiofrequency (RF) radiation.
Electromagnetic fields and RF radiation stem from electronic devices such as cell phones, wireless (Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Max) networks, smart meters, computers, household appliances, baby phones, cordless phones, fluorescent lighting, electric blankets, household wiring and power lines, to name a few. Cell phone antennas/towers also emit Radiofrequency (RF) radiation. If you live in a city, chances are high that you have a cell phone antenna as an unwanted neighbor.
An excellent website where you can look up if you are close to an antenna is: www.antennasearch.com
The potential that wireless RF radiation can harm human beings has brought the World Health Organization (WHO) to recently classify RF radiation from cell phones as a Class 2B carcinogen, meaning it is a possible cancer-causing agent. This is the same categorization as lead, DDT, pesticides and chloroform.
The human body is not equipped to deal with the 24/7 onslaught of man-made EMF and RF radiation pollution that it is exposed to. Every day new wireless and electronic devices are added to this array of electromagnetic fields. Research has shown that these fields can influence the “Van der Walls” bonds that hold molecules in place causing stress and harm to the body.
Other effects of EMF/RF Radiation Exposure include:
- Abnormal influx of calcium into cells, which can lead to and trigger allergic reactions.
- Mitochondria dysfunction. Mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cells creating energy. This could explain the common link between fatigue and RF radiation exposure.
- Depolarization of red blood cells, causing them to clump together and consequently carrying less oxygen.
- Decreased number of Natural Killer Cells (white blood cells), weakening the immune system.
- Weakening of the blood-brain barrier, causing toxins to enter the brain more readily.
- Decrease of 5-HTP in the blood that can lead to depression
- Induction of a stress response with elevated cortisol levels, causing hyperactivity and consequently weakening of the adrenals.
- Altered production of Melatonin, causing sleep difficulties.
In Sweden, Electrosensitivity and Electrohypersensitivty are recognized diseases. Therefore Sweden has created “cell phone and Wi-Fi free” places where people can go to recover.
Research shows that approximately 3% of the population has severe forms of EHS and another 35% has moderate symptoms such as an impaired immune system and chronic illness.
Normally, symptoms occur when exposed to EMF (electromagnetic fields) and EMR (electromagnetic radiation) and subside when moving away from the fields. The problem is that over time the body gets more and more sensitive and symptoms occur when exposed to only small amounts of EMF/EMR.
This chart shows the stress response of the Autonomous Nervous System of a healthy person and an electrosensitive person when exposed to a DECT phone. (cordless phone).
What are the typical symptoms?
- Brain Fog
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Skin problems (rash)
- Heart palpitations
- Sore throat
- Tingling in extremities
- Infertility / low sperm count
Less common are:
- Light sensitivity
- Nose bleeds
- Frequent urination
- Flu like symptoms and many more…
Since most physicians are not trained in EHS and are not aware of the problem, most likely he/she will not make a connection to EMF/EMR exposure and you will end up with a drug to mask your symptoms.
What can you do?
Most importantly: LIMIT YOUR EXPOSURE
- Limit your cell phone usage to a minimum.
- When talking on a cell phone, put it on speaker and hold it away from your head.
- Use an air-tube headset when talking.
- Turn off your home/office wireless network and use the old fashioned cables.
- Ask your neighbors to turn off their wireless networks when they are not using the internet and especially when sleeping.
- Remove cordless (DECT) phones in your home. (They emit an enormous amount of RF radiation).
- Never carry your cell phone on your body.
- Do not give a cell phone to your child (except for emergencies). Kids have thinner skulls and the radiation travels deep inside their brains.
- Do not use your cell phone in the car. The car acts as a Farraday cage, trapping the radiation in the car and therefore increasing it.
- Turn off the internet connection (3G/4G) on your smart phone (smart phones constantly are emitting RF radiation to search for a signal and to send/receive data).
- Do not put your laptop on your lap and try to keep away from your body.
- Switch out CFL light bulbs to standard ones – Yes, I am an environmentalist, but health comes first!
- Unplug all electric devices in your house when not in use. (Appliances in stand by mode still create an electromagnetic field).
- If you are in close proximity to several cell phone antennas – move to another place.
- Remove dimmer switches/electric blankets.
- Sleep in an electricity free bedroom.
- Sleep on a metal free bed (Metal acts as a conductor).
- Do not use a microwave oven.
- Switch from electronic alarm clocks to battery powered.
DETOXIFY YOUR BODY
- Do a targeted radiation detox (I can help with this)
- Remove amalgam fillings in your teeth that contain mercury. Make sure you do this with a green certified dentist.
- Detoxify your body from heavy metals. (Any metals in your body will act as a conductor. I can help you with designing a targeted heavy metal detox for you)
- Remove all jewelry from your body (they also act as an conductor)
- Instead of wearing glasses with a metal frame, wear contact lenses instead.
- Take regular Epsom salt baths
- Drink lots of clean/filtered water
- Sweat as often as possible (Sweating will draw toxins out)
- Exercise regularly
- Do saunas twice a week. Infrared saunas are best.
- Take walks on the beach (negatively charged irons will help you clear your system).
- Only use organic cleaning supplies for cleaning your house and clothes (to reduce further toxic burden on the body).
- Switch to organic make up.
- Use non-fluoridated toothpaste (another toxin to avoid).
OPTIMIZE YOUR NUTRITIONAL INTAKE
- Take a high quality mineral supplement (best taken in liquid form to enhance absorption rate) This will help in keeping your cell membranes strong.
- Eat only organic vegetables and fruit
- Avoid any processed foods
- Do not drink sodas
- Take Antioxidants supplements
- Load up on B vitamins. They strengthen the nervous system
There are also companies out there that claim their products can remove unwanted electromagnetic radiation by using devices that you can plug into the electrical outlet to remove dirty electriticity. Others claim that their pendants will protect you from harm. Personally, I have not tested them and cannot give a recommendation. However, I did want to mention them.
The most important thing to do if you are experiencing electro-sensitivity related symptom, is to limit your exposure and to slowly bring your life into alignment with what your body needs. Our society has treated all of our new electrical gadgets as toys without understanding the consequences to our health. You can begin to shift this understanding.
My intention for this newsletter is to raise awareness on this important issue. Hopefully you feel inspired and motivated to implement some or all of the above suggestions to lead a more healthy and fulfilling life.
As always, I hope this information is useful to you and I am looking forward to your comments and questions.