Chronic anxiety has become an epidemic in the Western world. This article is meant to increase your awareness of often overlooked factors that contribute to or cause anxiety and help you to consider treatment options that you may have not considered before. Let´s face it: Anxiety has become a huge business for big pharmaceutical companies, as most conventional approaches in treating anxiety unfortunately focus solely on prescription medication. These powerful drugs help in the short term, but do nothing to correct the underlying problem. Worse yet, you can become dependent on them in a very short time.ore.
However, the true causes for chronic anxiety are often overlooked and can stem from unresolved emotional trauma with subsequent imbalances in the energy system, nutritional imbalances, hidden food sensitivities, chronic toxicity in the body and/or environmental factors. Let´s look at these root causes in more detail:
- Unresolved Traumatic Events and Subsequent Imbalances in the Energy System: A traumatic event that is not fully healed and dealt with, stays in the energy system of your body and will, when you encounter a situation similar to the original traumatic event, trigger an anxiety reaction. When this happens, your autonomous nervous system will switch into a “fight or flight” mode, producing feelings of anxiety that are hard to control. This often happens without your awareness or understanding of why this is happening. The energy system in the body works like a giant computer that stores everything that you have ever experienced and also supplies life giving energy and information to your nervous system. Depending on the “quality “of this information, you will be calm and relaxed, or suffer from chronic anxiety. In some sense, the energy system of the body works like a doorway into your powerful subconscious mind and a skilled medical intuitive can help you determine and release any imbalances in your energy system. By doing so, harmony in the nervous system is restored, making it easier for you to feel balanced and calm. Of course, you can also work with a skilled psychotherapist, but in my experience, the energetic approach works so much faster as you do not have to spend years in therapy trying to “figure out” the underlying and often unconscious issue. A skilled medical intuitive can simply read your energetic field and determine the root cause effortlessly.
- Nutritional Imbalances: In Western Society, most people are overfed, but undernourished. These chronic nutritional imbalances greatly affect our bodies. The food we eat lack vital nutrients as the soil in which the food is grown is depleted of important minerals. Processed food and genetically engineered food (GMO) greatly contribute to the issue. When the body lacks certain nutrients and minerals, symptoms will develop. In the case of chronic anxiety, there is often an increased need for B Vitamins, essential fatty acids and organically bound minerals. B-Vitamins nourish the nervous system, essential fatty acids (especially Omega-3 Fatty Acids) are vital for the brain, and minerals are important for the nervous system to stay calm and relaxed. A lack in these vitamins and minerals can cause anxiety and over the years I have seen many of my clients dramatically improve by simply making the appropriate nutritional changes to their diets. Eating organic, whole foods (unprocessed) as often as possible is important, as is choosing the right supplements. I always recommend getting supplements that are made from whole foods as the body can absorb them more easily, which will shorten your recovery time. They are normally a bit more expensive than cheaply made synthetic supplements, but they will help you heal quicker. Also, avoiding any stimulants that can mimic the feeling of anxiety is important: Cutting down, or better yet, quitting coffee, cigarettes, energy drinks and sugar will help you greatly in assisting your body to stay calm and relaxed.
- Hidden Food Sensitivities: Chronic anxiety can be caused by food that you eat on a regular basis and that you might be sensitive to. Often, these hidden food sensitivities not only cause chronic inflammation in the body, but your body responds with an increased heart rate, shortness of breath and a racing mind, all mimicking anxiety. The most common foods people are sensitive to are: Gluten (a protein found in wheat, oats, barley and rye), Dairy products and also GMO foods (mostly corn, soy and sugar beets). If you suffer from chronic anxiety, you can try eliminating these foods for at least 3 weeks and notice if it makes a difference. It can take up to 2 weeks for the body to clear up any “residues” of the offending food and to lower inflammation in the body. If this does not make a significant difference, I suggest you ask your treating physician or alternative health care practitioner to order an IgG food sensitivity test for you, which can detect hundreds of different foods that you might be sensitive to by measuring the level of antibodies in your blood.
- Chronic Toxicity: The sad fact is that we live in a toxic world. There are over 100,000 commercially used toxins in the US and eventually, they end up in our bodies. These toxins are basically found everywhere: in the food we eat, the air we breathe, in our furniture, cosmetics, cleaning supplies and the list goes on. Chronic toxicity can impact every organ system in the body, and very often, the delicate nervous system will react first, producing symptoms like anxiety and fatigue. Therefore, avoiding toxins as much as possible is important. Making just a few changes can go a long way: Using organic cleaning supplies, switching to non-toxic cosmetics, eating organic food, drinking filtered water, and a good detoxification protocol is important in your quest to becoming healthy. When starting a detoxification protocol, I recommend working with a skilled practitioner who can advise and guide you through the process, especially if this if your first time doing so.
- Microwave Radiation: This is one of the most commonly overlooked factors in chronic anxiety and most people do not even want to consider this fact. We are living in a sea of man-made digital frequencies, which mostly stem from cell phone towers, Wi-Fi, cell phones, laptops, wireless smart meters, baby monitors and the like. These devices emit pulsed microwave radiation that impacts the nervous system, which can lead to chronic anxiety. There is a large body of independent research that shows this toxin affects our body 1. Unfortunately, many people are addicted to their wireless devices and therefore shut down mentally when this topic is brought up. This is unfortunate as you can greatly reduce the amount of radiation you are subjected to by implementing just a few changes. Here are some tips:
- Turn off your Wi-Fi at night and ask your neighbors to do the same.
- Better yet, use an Ethernet cable to connect online. That way you are not irradiated by your laptop or tablet computer. Be sure to turn the Airport function off.
- Do not carry or use your smart phone close to your body (it even says this in the manual). Instead use speaker phone or a headset.
- Put your phone on “airplane mode” when not in use.
- Use a corded landline for most calls. Do not use cordless phones anymore.
- Switch off and unplug all electronic devices in your bedroom, especially at night. Some people even turn off the circuit breaker to their bedroom and sleep much deeper.
- Never use your smart phone as an alarm clock (unless it is on “airplane mode”). Get a simple battery powered alarm clock instead
- If your utility company has installed a wireless “smart” meter, ask them to replace it with the much safer analog meters that we have always used (2). Many people do not realize that smart meters pulse up to 190,000 times per day. If one or more of these devices are near your bedroom, this is dangerous for your nervous system. (3)
- Determine if you live next to a cell phone tower. These emit harmful microwave radiation 24/7 and over time will affect your nervous system. Visit www.antennasearch.com. If you do live next to one, consider moving or shielding your bedroom. Our bodies need to rest and recover at night. When we are continuously exposed to microwave radiation, our health eventually declines.
I very much hope that this article was informative and helpful and I am looking forward to your comments or questions.